SWAYAM is a programme initiated by Government of India and designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., access, equity and quality. The objective of this effort is to take the best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged. SWAYAM seeks to bridge the digital divide for students who have hitherto remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
In order to ensure that best quality content is produced and delivered, nine National Coordinators have been appointed. They are:
- AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) for self-paced and international courses
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) for Engineering
- UGC (University Grants Commission) for non-technical post-graduation education
- CEC (Consortium for Educational Communication) for under-graduate education
- NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) for school education
- NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) for school education
- IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for out-of-school students
- IIMB (Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore) for management studies
- NITTTR (National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research) for Teacher Training programme
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a project of MHRD initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003, to provide quality education to anyone interested in learning from the IITs. The main goal was to create web and video courses in all major branches of engineering and physical sciences at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and management courses at the postgraduate level.
Largest online repository in the world of courses in engineering, basic sciences, and selected humanities and social sciences subjects
Online web portal http://nptel.ac.in – more than 471 million+ views
Youtube channel for NPTEL – most subscribed educational channel, 1.5 million+ channel subscribers, 819 million+ views, 50000+ Video Hours.
More than 54000+ hours of video content, transcribed with subtitles
Most accessed library of peer-reviewed educational content in the world.
NPTEL Online Certification Courses
Since 2013, through an online portal, 4-, 8-, or 12-week online courses, typically on topics relevant to students in all years of higher education along with basic core courses in sciences and humanities with exposure to relevant tools and technologies, are being offered. The enrolment to and learning from these courses involves no cost. An in-person, proctored certification exam (optional) will be conducted at Rs. 1000/- per course and a certificate is provided through the participating institutions and industry, when applicable.